Shane Bogle, the Agriculture and Natural Resources Agent at the UK Extension Office, was in studio Wednesday for WPKY’s weekly Extension Program.

Shane first told listeners that Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles was at the Caldwell County Extension Office on Tuesday for a forum to speak about the importance of Kentucky agriculture and finances, and mentioned how western Kentucky agriculture carries the whole state. Commissioner Quarles also spoke about upcoming legislature that needs to change before it can hurt Kentucky farmers and how farmers need to speak with their legislators to fight for their rights.

Shane then reminded listeners about pesticide certifications. Shane said that anyone who is making an application of a Restricted Use Product, including the person handling the product during mixing of the pesticide and while loading a sprayer or spreader, must be a certified pesticide applicator. There are two types of pesticide certification: private applicator and commercial applicator. A private applicator is a person certified to use any pesticide for purposes of producing any agriculture commodity on property owned or rented by them or their employer. It also applies to applications made to the lands of a farmer or neighbor, if pesticides are applied without financial compensation. So private applicators may apply treatments to their own property or their employer and they may even make applications for neighbors as long as they do not receive any form of a cash payment. A commercial applicator is defined as any person who engages in the business of applying any pesticide to the lands of another while receiving financial compensation. If the applicator charges a fee to make the pesticide application, they will need a Commercial Applicator’s License. Shane noted that there are a number of categories for commercial applicators, and some commercial applicators may need to be certified in more than one category to cover the types of work they perform, and that to be commercially certified you must take a test and continue receiving credit hours throughout the year. Shane also said that there are no categories with the private applicator certification and that the certification lasts for three years. Shane then told listeners that the UK Extension Office, located on Highway 62 West in Princeton, will be having their first private applicator certification training class on Tuesday, December 19th at 1PM. The class is free but you should call the extension office at 270-365-2787 to register for the class. Shane said the extension office will offer 5 other classes after the one on December 19th.

Shane then told listeners about some accidental invaders of our homes this fall and winter. Winter is an inhospitable season for cold-blooded arthropods that survive year-round in Kentucky, many of them accomplish this ability to survive year-round by hunkering down in our homes. The most common accidental invaders we face in western Kentucky are the brown marmorated stink bug, the multicolored Asian lady beetles (lady bugs), boxelder bugs – which are very similar in appearance to the “kissing bug” but are not harmful to humans or other animals, face flies – which are the larger flies that congregate around windows and doors, and ground beetles – which are common in turf and around foundations and can congregate around cracks in door jambs during the winter. Shane said that unfortunately there is no magic solution to vanquish these interlopers but there are a couple of effective strategies available to those faced with the unwanted guests. The first option is interception, to catch them or spray them before they enter your home while they’re accumulated in mass numbers. The second option is exclusion, which is to seal as many obvious openings in your home as practically possible, however in spite of the best efforts there may be some persistent individuals who will find a way inside. For further information on exclusion you can pick up the “How to Pest-Proof/Winter-Proof Your Home” literature at the extension office. The third option is to collect and discard, use a vacuum to collect and discard as many invaders as possible. Once outdoor temperatures consistently remain below 50 degrees, the influx should stop. Shane then warned listeners to avoid using insecticides indoors. “Bug foggers” or insect foggers have significant limitations and pose some significant risks, so it’s highly suggested that you don’t use them in your home. You can get more information on bug foggers by picking up the “Limitations of Home Insect Foggers” literature at the extension office.

You can always feel free to call the Caldwell County UK Extension Office at 270-365-2787 for more information about any issues you may have in and around your home and property.

You can catch the full interview with Shane Bogle below.